Impersonating A Public Servant


to top

If you pretend to be a police officer so you can collect bogus fines or pull people over in traffic to intimidate them, you risk being charged with impersonating a public servant. The offense is punishable by years in prison and heavy fines. You will need a criminal defense attorney who can stand up for your rights and provide you with a strong and effective defense.

What You Need To Know About Impersonating A Public Servant

In Pennsylvania, you impersonate a public servant when you pretend to hold a position in public service with the intent to induce someone else to submit to your pretended official authority,  or to act in reliance on that pretense to his or her prejudice.

Impersonating a public servant is a misdemeanor of the second degree. If you are charged, you face up to two years in prison and up to $5,000 in fines.

What Your Lawyer Can Do

Your attorney will carefully review every aspect of your case to determine if there is evidence for all you have been accused of.

  • Your lawyer will make every effort to discredit any evidence not in your favor.
  • Much of what your lawyer can do to help you will depend on the exact circumstances of your case.

Your lawyer will be looking at every avenue that can help you, so it’s important that you give them all of the information that can support your case.

How A Lawyer Will Help

When you are up against an impersonating a public servant charge, even before your first hearing you will be facing a determined prosecutor. You need an attorney who will stand by you every step of the way, work hard to discredit any evidence – and work with you to determine your best course of action.

Pennsylvania Impersonating A Public Servant Law

Impersonating a public servant to law enforcement authorities is described and defined under The Pennsylvania Criminal Code under Title 18, Chapter 49. Read the code here.

Questions? Contact us today.

Based on the evidence, Fienman Defense will try to show that the charges should be dismissed. If it’s in your best interest, we will work to negotiate a lesser sentence. Should the case go to trial, we will fight to present the strongest defense possible for your situation.