Choosing Your DUI Defense Attorney
When you or a family member face DUI charges, it’s a frightening and confusing experience. You are probably upset about what happened — and worried about what to do next.
Your first step should be to hire a Philadelphia DUI defense attorney if your arrest occurred in Philadelphia, or a Pennsylvania DUI attorney in your arrest occurred elsewhere in the Commonwealth. But how do you find someone who can give you the legal representation you need during this stressful time?
What You Need To Know About Hiring A DUI Defense Attorney
- Look for an attorney with specific experience in DUI. Your friends and family may recommend lawyers who helped them with problems ranging from personal injury to divorce. But you need a lawyer with specific knowledge and connections that attorneys who practice in other areas do not have.
- An attorney who has handled many DUI cases in the locality where you were arrested will understand how the courts there actually work. They will have working relationships with the prosecutors, judges and magistrates who will be deciding your fate.
- Look for an attorney who has experience in analyzing DUI police reports.
- Look for an attorney who has experience in reading the results of breathalyzers and blood tests that determine blood alcohol content.
- Meet with the lawyer to see how you feel about them. Is this someone who will listen to you? Is this someone who will be committed to fighting for you and getting the best possible outcome for you?
- After describing what occurred during your DUI arrest, ask the attorney, ‘after hearing my side of what happened what strategies would you use in my defense?’
- Ask the attorney, ‘what role can I play to help you prepare my DUI case?’ Listen closely to their answer and make sure you are comfortable with it.
- It is critical that you hire an attorney you can trust. Honest communication is the foundation of a good attorney/client relationship. You should feel comfortable telling your lawyer what happened leading up to your arrest. And your lawyer should be someone whose advice you would be willing to consider.
You need to move quickly to hire your attorney so they can start working on your defense as soon as possible. Events in the criminal justice system happen swiftly. If you or a loved one has been questioned by the police or arrested for DUI, the next step may be just hours away.
If you are questioned, you need to have an attorney with you. If you are arrested, it is critical you have an attorney’s advice.
How A Lawyer Will Help
When you are up against DUI charges, you need an attorney who will stand by you every step of the way, work hard to discredit any evidence – and work with you to determine your best course of action.
Pennsylvania DUI Law
DUI is described and defined under The Pennsylvania Code under Title 75, Chapter 38. Read the code here.
Questions? Contact us today.
Based on the evidence, Fienman Defense will try to get your DUI charges dismissed or lowered. Should the case go to trial, we will fight to present the strongest defense possible for your situation.