Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas
Montgomery County Courthouse
2 East Airy Street
Norristown, Pennsylvania 19404
The Courts of Common Pleas are Pennsylvania’s general trial courts. These courts have been in place since the Commonwealth’s colonial charter in 1776.
Montgomery County criminal cases begin in the Magisterial District Courts. The next step in the court system for misdemeanor and felony cases is the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas.
The Court of Common Pleas of Montgomery County, the 38nd Judicial District of Pennsylvania, hears all of the county’s major civil and criminal trials as well as family and probate matters.
Twenty-three judges preside over the court, which is located in Norristown.
The Court of Common Pleas has six divisions: Judges, Civil, Criminal, Family, Juvenile and Orphans.
The Court also provides administrative support to the 30 Magisterial District Courts in Montgomery County.
The Court of Common Pleas is overseen by a President Judge who supervises the entire court. President Judge Thomas M. Del Ricci, is the President Judge of the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas.
Cases In Common Pleas Court in Montgomery County
The court hears cases that include:
- juvenile delinquency proceedings
- lawsuits involving money or property
- custody disputes
- child support issues
The Common Pleas Court also hears appeals that include appeals of driver’s license suspensions and traffic tickets.
- Honorable Thomas M. Del Ricci, President Judge
- Honorable William R. Carpenter
- Honorable Rhonda Lee Daniele
- Honorable Stephen R. Barrett
- Honorable Thomas C. Branca
- Honorable Steven T. O’Neill
- Honorable Thomas P. Rogers
- Honorable Garrett D. Page
- Honorable Kelly C. Wall
- Honorable Carolyn T. Carluccio
- Honorable Wendy Demchick-Alloy
- Honorable Patricia E. Coonahan
- Honorable Gary S. Silow
- Honorable Richard P. Haaz
- Honorable Gail A. Weilheimer
- Honorable Steven C. Tolliver
- Honorable Daniel J. Clifford
- Honorable Risa Vetri Ferman
- Honorable Todd D. Eisenberg
- Honorable Jeffrey S. Saltz
- Honorable Wendy G. Rothstein
Orphans’ Court Judges
- Honorable Cheryl L. Austin
- Honorable Lois E. Murphy
- Honorable Arthur R. Tilson
- Honorable Joseph A. Smyth
- Honorable Stanely R. Ott
- Honorable Bernard A. Moore
- Honorable Emanuel A. Bertin
Court Administrator and Clerk of Courts
The Court Administrator oversees the Court’s administration. Michael R. Kehs is the Montgomery County Court Administrator.
The Clerk of Courts is the clerk of the criminal court and is custodian of all the criminal court’s original cases. Ann Thornburg Weiss is Montgomery County’s Clerk of Courts.
Court administration is located on the second floor of the Court House.
Questions? Contact us today.
If you have been charged with a criminal offense in the Philadelphia area, you need an attorney who thoroughly understands the way Pennsylvania’s criminal justice system works. Fienman Defense has successfully represented people in the Court of Common Pleas of Montgomery County. We have the skills to create the solid defense that, depending on the circumstances of your case, can get the charges against you lessened or even dismissed.